Urgent: tragic change to Village is imminent, can it be halted???

Friends of Jackson House also advocates for the due respect and proper treatment of the Fishkill Historic District, particularly the Jackson and Main Street area. Currently, two land parcels within the district are slated for mixed use development and they are of particular concern.
We view historic preservation and green space as opportunities that will insure a sustainable future for Fishkill, …both town and village.
We recognize the vital importance of Fishkill’s rich historic heritage to New York State and to the nation.
We shall work to further develop a constructive dialog between all involved parties to encourage a best outcome scenario.
Evert Swart built the structure we now refer to as the Jackson House in 1741. James Weeks, a Captain of the local militia, used it as a tavern during the American Revolution and it stood witness to the passage of thousands of Revolutionary War soldiers during this era. The tavern went on to serve as a stopping point for travelers through the 18th century. Judge Joseph Jackson, the first judge of Duchess County, purchased the home in 1808, living there till his death in 1863. In 1900 the house was turned into the Colonial Inn. It went on to be the home of two village mayors.The Mid Hudson Medical Group moved from this home on Jackson Street during the mid 2000s and it has been unoccupied since .
The Fishkill Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
1 2 3 4